Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Day 5 - April 12th, 2009 - Happy Easter...sort of -PART DEUX

DISCLAIMER: My in-laws have been VERY generous throughout this trying time! We're very lucky to have them. Support from extended family really helps when things get tough.

As I mentioned in part-1, my wife, son, and I were staying at my wife's parent's place until we could get our own place to stay. Now, at the risk of seeming ungrateful, I am going to tell a story of a situation in which too much of a good thing can sometimes be bad.

It was Easter dinner and my sister-in-law, her friend and boy-friend, as well as my brother-in-law with his family were in attendance. My son is 4 years old and he's at that "cute" stage where he's asserting himself (that's an understatement, perhaps). His uncle and aunt had bought him an Easter basket and he wanted to open it. My father-in-law didn't know that the basket was for him and he tried to keep my son from opening the basket. Of course, my son was NOT at all happy about that :-| Anyway, it wasn't a big deal as it was a simple misunderstanding.

Something had happened involving my father-in-law that I was not happy about (I'm not going to get into details here for obvious reasons). I had raised my voice to my father-in-law and my sister-in-law got pretty pissed at me and started yelling at me. Then my wife starts getting into it with her sister and before you know it, we've got a three-way cage match about to happen (well, verbally speaking). My wife left the house to get some air and cool off as did I (I also got on the cell to my best friend of 25+ years to vent).

I ended up sitting in the basement avoiding everyone and stewing about what had happened the rest of the day. My Easter was pretty much ruined (what should have been important was that it was a day of celebration rejoicing in the Risen Lord and sadly, I lost sight of that).

SOME ADVICE: If you find yourself needing a place to stay and your in-laws or even your own parents offer to put you up, I STRONGLY recommend that you consider a hotel room for a few days. Stressful situations can make MOUNTAINS out of even the stupidest of mole hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment